Landlord Guide

Renting Your Property 

Getting the property ready for rental

Now that you have decided to rent out your property you'll want to maximise the letting potential by making sure the property is presented in the best condition.  Prior to the commencement of a tenancy the property should be in good decorative order and professionally cleaned throughout.  Properties in good condition tend to attract better tenants and yield the highest rents.  Should you require advice on the presentation we would be more than pleased to assist.

Furnished/Part Furnished/Unfurnished  

The property can be let fully furnished, part furnished, or unfurnished.  We can advise you on whether to furnish or not and to what level.

Manuals and Maintenance Contracts 

Instruction/operating manuals for appliances and electrical equipment must be left in the property.  Details of any maintenance contracts should also be supplied.

Utility Services

Ensure that all available utilities are connected to the property including, telephone line, gas, water, and electricity.  Where provided, check any LPG/OIL tanks are in working condition and full and that any septic tanks attached to the property are emptied.

Other Important Considerations

Do you have a mortgage on the property?  

If you have a mortgage on the property which you intend to let you will need written permission from your mortgage lender.  Otherwise, you could risk being in breach of contract.

Is your property held on a Lease? 

If you are the leaseholder of the property you will need to check the terms of the lease and obtain any necessary permissions prior to letting.


You should advise your insurance company that you are letting out the property and ensure that you have adequate insurance cover for buildings and contents in place.  Failure to notify your insurer may invalidate your policy.  If you need further advice on Landlord’s Legal Protection, Rent Guarantee Cover or Contents and Building Insurance, please feel free to ask.

Income Tax UK and Non Resident Landlord

If you are currently residing in the UK, it is your responsibility to inform Revenue and Customs of any rental that you receive and to pay any taxes due.

If you are a Non UK resident you are required by the Inland Revenue to complete Form NRL1 to enable us to transfer rent to you without deducting tax. See link

Legal Requirements & Health and Safety

Energy Performance Certificates (EPC) 

Prior to marketing the property Landlords are required by law to have a valid Energy Performance Certificate (EPC).  From 1 April 2020 Landlords must not grant a new tenancy of a property (including an extension or renewal), nor continue to let the property (on an existing tenancy) where the Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is below the minimum level of energy efficiency for private rented properties of band E.  Landlords are obliged to provide tenants with a copy of a valid EPC before the start of every tenancy.  See Link

Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998

If the property has a supply of gas the landlord must have all gas appliances checked annually by a Registered Gas Installer (Council for Registered Gas Installers) and provide a Gas Safety Certificate to the tenant.  A certificate must be provided before the start of any new tenancy and annually thereafter. 

Electrical Safety Standards Regulations 2020 

The Regulations apply to new tenancies from 1 July 2020 and existing tenancies from 1 April 2021.  Landlords are required to have an ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION CONDITION REPORT at least every 5 years by a properly qualified person. It is highly recommended that landlords regularly carry out portable appliance testing (PAT) on any electrical appliance they provide and supply tenants with a record of any electrical inspections carried out as good practice.   All domestic installation work must be carried out by a Government "Approved" Contractor. Electrical Contractors will also have to verify that the works comply with (BS7671). See link

The Furniture & Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) (Amended) Regulations 1993

Any furniture provided in a rented property must comply with fire resistance regulations.  Labels attached to new furnishings will confirm compatibility and should be left attached.  If there are no labels, you must try to contact the retailer or manufacturer to check the item complies. If you are unable to establish where the furniture came from or its compliance, it must be replaced.   Exceptions to the regulations are; antique furniture or any furniture manufactured before 1st January 1950

Window Blinds

Separate safety standards deal with internal window blinds and the danger posed by cords and chains to babies and children. See link.

The Tenancy Deposit Scheme 

All tenant’s deposits for an Assured Shorthold Tenancy must be protected in a Government approved scheme, ‘Tenant Deposit Scheme’ (TDS)  within 30 days of receipt.  The scheme is designed to encourage landlords and tenants to make a clear agreement at the start of the tenancy on the contents and condition of the property. See link

The Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations 2015

It is mandatory for landlords to have at least one smoke alarm installed on every storey of their properties and a carbon monoxide alarm in any room containing a solid fuel burning appliance (eg a coal fire, wood-burning stove).  The alarms must be tested and working at the start of every new tenancy and should be replaced at regular intervals.

Right To Rent - Immigration Act 2014

Before a tenancy begins, landlords in England and Wales have a legal obligation to ensure that their tenant and any permitted occupants have the right to remain in the UK before a tenancy commences. If they have the right, but for a limited time only, follow up checks are also required.  See link.

Legionella (Water and Bacterial Control)

Due to changes to the Approved Code of Practice regarding Legionella Control, it is required that all rental properties must have a Legionella Risk Assessment carried out.  You must ensure that risk from exposure to legionella in water systems is properly controlled.  Properties that are left empty or those with open cold-water tanks, swimming pools, and hot tubs are, particularly at risk.  See link.

(HMO) House in Multiple Occupation

Depending on the type, location and occupancy of your property, a license may be required from your local authority.  It is important that you understand your local authority’s requirements as every borough operates its own scheme and there are mandatory and discretionary licenses that may be required.  See link.

Our Services

At NextMove Lettings we offer a full range of services to help you rent and sell your property. Whether you are a landlord, seller, buyer or tenant we can provide a tailored service to suit you.


Landlords Fees

Are you looking to rent your property in Maidenhead, Windsor or Beaconsfield? Check out our competitive landlord fees and fee structure. Alternatively speak with one of property professionals today.


Landlords Information

NextMove Lettings understand that each property owner will have different requirements. Speak with one of our advisors to discuss how we can help you let your property.



Speak with one of our property professionals about a free property valuation. We can give you expert advice and guidance on how to achieve the best rental value for your property.