Guide to Renting Property

If you are currently seeking a property to rent, check out our property listings page. If you have seen a property that you would like to view you can use the contact form on each of the individual property pages to arrange a viewing or make an enquiry, or alternatively, you can give us a call 01628 947794 or 07931 349474.
If you have a specific type of property in mind we can take details of your requirements and contact you should a suitable property become available. 
Once you have viewed a property and decided to proceed with the letting we will start the process of arranging the holding deposit, references, tenancy agreement, Inventory etc... 


Permitted Tenant Fees

  • Holding Deposit (per tenancy) - One week's rent which will be deducted from the first month's rent. This is to reserve a property.  Please note: this will be withheld if any relevant person (including any guarantor(s)) withdraw from the tenancy, fail a Right-to-Rent check, provide materially significant false or misleading information, or fail to sign their tenancy agreement (and/or Deed of Guarantee)
  • Security deposit (per tenancy, Rent of under £50,000 per year- Five weeks' rent. This covers damages or defaults on the part of the tenant during the tenancy.
  • Security Deposit (per tenancy, Rent of over £50,000 per year) - Six weeks' rent. This covers damages or defaults on the part of the tenant during the tenancy.



Before commencing with the tenancy we will need to obtain satisfactory references from your employer and if applicable your current landlord. There may also be instances when we require a personal reference or guarantor.  We use the services of an independent referencing agency to obtain and evaluate these references.  Personal & photographic identification will also be required, such as a passport or driving licence. 


Right to Rent

Before you can take up a tenancy any adult over 18 who will be living in the property must provide evidence of their right to rent a property and to remain in the UK; this includes UK nationals.  For British/EU citizens a current passport or National ID card is required. For all non-EEA or Swiss nationals – a current passport and appropriate visa is required. For further details please see the Right to Rent section of UK Gov Website

We will need to have sight of the above original documents in your presence.  We will take a copy of the documents and obtain confirmation that the documents are genuine. You will not be able to take up a tenancy unless you can provide the above. Should your visa run out during the course of the tenancy then you will be required to provide further evidence of your continued right to rent. This applies to any adult (over 18 years) living in the property.


Deposit & Rent

Prior to the commencing of the tenancy, we will require a deposit and the first rental payment, a month in advance. Your deposit must be protected in a government-backed tenancy deposit scheme (TDP) if you rent your home on an assured shorthold tenancy. All deposits paid under an AST have to be protected within 30 days by the agent/landlord. This is the responsibility of the Landlord (or their appointed Agent).


The Tenancy Agreement

Once the terms have been agreed by both parties and satisfactory references received, the relevant documentation will need to be signed electronically by you and the landlord.


Inventory & Schedule of Conditions

Before the start of the tenancy, an inventory is prepared detailing the contents and condition of the property. You will be provided with a copy and so will the landlord.  


Do I have to pay for Council Tax & Utility Bills?

As a tenant you will be responsible for any utility bills at the property, i.e. water, gas, electric, oil, as well as council tax, telephone, internet, unless there is a special arrangement with the landlord of the property. You will also be responsible for a TV license at the property, if you watch TV without a license you risk being fined.


Can I have pets?

Many Landlords will not accept pets – therefore if you have pets you should check prior to viewing or taking occupation whether pets are accepted at the property.


Do I need insurance, as a tenant? 

The landlord is responsible for insuring the building and any contents that come with the property.  You will be responsible for insuring your own contents/personal possessions stored within the rented property. NextMove can obtain a quotation for your consideration.


When can I move in?

Once the tenancy has been signed and rents & deposits have cleared, the tenancy can proceed. 


What if I find any faults or repairs that need addressing?

If you find any problems with the property you are renting, you should inform the Landlord/Agent immediately, who will be able to provide assistance.


Can I decorate the property?

You must consult the Landlord/ Agent prior to carrying out any changes to the property to obtain permission.


Looking for your next rental property? Check out our latest listings here.



Are you currently looking to rent property in the Maidenhead, Bourne End, Marlow or surrounding areas? Register with NextMove Lettings and we'll keep you informed of properties that match your criteria. Alternatively, if you'd like to speak to one of our friendly professionals about a property that is on our website, please give us call.

Register With Us

NextMove Lettings

Tel: 01628 947794